Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Coach Carter

Inspired by the true story of controversial Richmond, California basketball coach Ken Carter, who received both high praise and staunch criticism when he made national news for benching his entire undefeated team for poor academic performance. Tension mounted as the Richmond High Oilers faced the upcoming basketball championship.

Okay, I admit. I did not write that marvellous synphosis of the movie. Fine.

Just wanna recommend this inspiring movie to everyone. The duration of the movie is 2 hours though but every single detail about what took place in 1999 is recorded in this movie. Watch it ya.

Need someone to provide the movie? Feel free to ask me for the (pirated) DVD.

Some quotes from the movie:

"These boys are student althletes. "Student" comes first."

"What is your deepest fear?"

"I came to coack basketball players, and you became students. I camt to teach boys... and you became man."

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest dear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking, so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were all meant to shine, as children do. It is not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. Sir, I just wanna say thank you. You saved my life."

Last quote chim? Actually I thought so too. Heh. But after I type them all out, I understood its meaning. I just meant that sometimes we unconciously go beyond our limits and that scares us. If we decide not to make it big, we aren't doing ourselves good, neither are we doing good to others and it's not something we should triumph about. We should also know that everyone is good in something and that we are allowed to shine in that area. And as we are lifted from our fears, others' fears are also lifted because they believe that they can drive away their fears too.

Something like that lah. Laugh as much as you want if I get it wrong lor.

I'm in holiday mood leh. How to study like that ~.~